Tuesday, May 29, 2012

What we save

My mom and dad were born in 1928 and grew up in the Great Depression.  The idea of "saving" was ingrained--at least in my mom.  She saved zip-loc bags (washed them and reused them); the same went for frozen dinner trays, plastic water bottles, plastic grocery bags, wrapping paper, string, and any other thing that could be reused, or used for a different purpose.  Today, we live in a throw-away society, but in the earlier part of the 20th century, people kept everything because they might need it and not be able to get more. 

I suppose you could call Mom a "pack-rat"--or today's favorite term, "hoarder"--but at least everything was very organized and clean!  She never let her saving get out of hand, like the people you see on those television shows.  There was no trash and no filth, but I have found every available spot filled with stuff she saved. 

It's interesting to me what people, even my own mother, find important enough to save.  Everything my mom saved had some intrinsic value.  She was especially keen on clothing.  She saved most of my father's shirts, thinking that she would wear them.  She also saved many of his coats and jackets, again thinking that she would wear them.  She saved the old lenses from her glasses.  She saved magazines that she liked:  Decorating and Craft Ideas from 1974-1979, American West from 1968-1975, assorted Country magazines, and assorted Mary Engelbreit Home Companion magazines. 

Now, before you think I'm criticizing, let me tell you a secret--I'm right there with her!  Oh, I don't save plastic zip-loc bags or plastic bottles, but I'll save just about everything else (except newspapers--never been a newspaper saver).  I had a closet full of clothes from the 80s--until a friend staged an intervention!  Now I have a closet full of 90s and 00s clothes.  I collect stuff; if I have more than two of anything, I'll add to the collection. 

Another amazing fact about my beautiful mother who saved everything:  she saved money too!  She had enough gumption and determination to get my dad through college and professional school on one very small salary. 

Lastly, I love looking through the things that made her her!  It's like a little peek into a time capsule and what made up her world.  The best part is finding things I made for her--she kept them because they were important to her!  It makes me feel good to know that she loved me enough to keep all my tokens of love, no matter how small.

And so, in continuation of my vintage offerings, today's are as follows:


Every lady needed classy white gloves!



These were for putting over your curlers while you worked around the house.