Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Giving up...and getting organized

I finally gave up on trying to do everything myself and hired a team of organizers to come in and help me unpack!  I still feel guilty that I can't do it all myself, and that I'm spending money on people to unpack boxes, but I'll probably get over it once the house is clean and organized. 
 
My friend Nicolas and I had dinner the other night, and while enjoying Pappadeaux's food, we talked about getting everything unpacked and how much trouble I was having.  One of the things bogging me down is trying to find a place to put books since I decided to use dadddy's study (where all the books were kept) as a studio. 
 
As we talked, Nicolas wisely suggested using a room we call "the gameroom" as my studio.  When he asked why I wasn't planning on using it as my studio, I blithered and dithered and finally came up with, "but it's decorated to be a soda fountain."
 
A little backstory here would be helpful:  when I was in high school, Mom and Dad got this idea to turn our "gameroom" into a replica of an old-fashioned soda fountain.  Over the next few years, they worked hard to gather all the pieces and parts:  the original soda fountain cabinets from their home-town drugstore, a 1946 Wurlitzer bubbler jukebox (all restored!), a restored brass cash register, a penny scale, a soda fountain table, original drug store stools, and tons of drug store/soda fountain memorabilia.  Now I can't really remember what sparked this idea, but they were enthusiastic about it and went whole hog!  When it was complete, it was a really cool place to have parties; to this day everyone that comes in the house marvels at what a neat room it is.
 
It is really unusual, but unfortunately, it is also the least-used room in the house for me.  In fact, ever since I've moved in, the door has been shut and I've rarely even gone back there.  I mean, what use do I do have for a soda fountain right now?  It's not like I'm hosting parties--ever, actually.
 
When Nicolas heard my lame excuse, he just looked at me in that way he has--he's one of those lucky people who can arch one eyebrow to express disbelief (and sarcasm!).  With the dreaded eyebrow-arch out of the way, he proceeded to convince me that my parents wouldn't have wanted me to be bogged down and unhappy by their possessions. 

So...fast forward two weeks:  After spending more money than I care to think about, I only have a couple of unpacked boxes left in my house!  I can't say enough good things about the team of ladies from Organized Touch. Melora, Susan, Joyce, and Callista swept through my house like a troop of organizing angels!  They were so sweet and easy to work with--they definitely made my life a whole bunch easier!  I feel as though I've made four new friends.  If you ever need any organizing, I highly recommend them!

I still have plenty to do.  I need to "settle" into the house and make it my own, but that's relatively easy.  That's the "fun" part.

Pictures to follow (as soon as I charge my camera battery)!!  Oh, and, thanks, Nicolas, for the wise words of advice and the encouragement.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lady K, I'm Anne from Life on the Funny Farm (http://annesfunnyfarm.blogspot.com) visiting from the Pet Blogger Hop.

    So what's the end result? Are you using the soda fountain as your studio??

    It’s nice to "meet" you. I hope you can pop over to my blog and say hi sometime if you get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Anne--

    The result is that--yes--I did use the soda fountain as my studio! I'll have pics this weekend. It's still kind of a mess, but better than it used to be.

    Stopped by your blog as well. Crafty little kiddo you have, thinking up ways to get out of school! Gotta love 'em (I may not have kids, but my dogs are as big as kids, and almost as much trouble! They're devious too).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading Puff the Magic Dragon!