Tuesday, November 05, 2013

I think I have a ghost!

Do you believe in ghosts?  Spirits?  Things that go "bump" in the night?  I confess that I do believe in them.  I know a number of people--all well-educated and completely trustworthy--who have had brushes with "otherworldly" experiences.  In fact, my best friend is one of them!  But that's her story to tell.
 
I have my own to tell! 
 
Several months ago, an old flower arrangement in my bathroom was inexplicably thrown to the floor when no one was in the room.  I had gotten up to go to the bathroom at about 3am and when I came back in at 7am, the arrangement looked as though it had been lifted and forcefully thrown to the floor.  Flowers and leaves were everywhere!  I was sleeping in the den at the time and the doors to the back of the house were shut--so the dogs weren't to blame either.  I jokingly blamed it on my mother's spirit, trying to tell me to get rid of the old arrangement and put something better-looking in its place.
 
Then just last week (right in time for Halloween, I suppose), something else weird happened.  I was digging through the desk drawer and found an old picture of my father as a little boy.  It was such a cute picture of him, wearing overalls.  Mom carried it with her in her purse.  I also found a note that my father had written to my mom from 1960 or so that she carried, and a photostatic copy of their marriage license.  All these were so neat, I pulled them out and put them on the desk to take to Hobby Lobby and have framed.
 
Just before I got ready to leave the house, I moved the little pile of documents and the picture to the coffee table so I wouldn't forget them.  I got ready to go, picked up the little pile, and left the house.  When I got into my car, I checked to make sure I still had everything.  The little picture of daddy was gone.  I retraced the few steps I had taken (just from the house to the car)--nothing!  I looked everywhere--in the drawer where I'd found the picture, the coffee table, under the coffee table.  It was totally gone! 
 
Call me crazy, but I think mom took it because she likes it so much!  Just to be on the safe side, I told her it was okay, that she could have the picture if she wanted it.  It's totally the kind of thing I could see mom doing! 
 
How about you?  Any ghost stories you'd like to share?

1 comment:

Thanks for reading Puff the Magic Dragon!