Friday, April 25, 2014

The cat's out of the bag...











The cat is now out of the bag, so to speak.  Since the first of the year, I've been working on a "sleeve" of tattoos.    Before we go any further...yes, I know it's extreme.  And, yes, I am well aware of the fact that my parents would have most whole-heartedly disliked this.  But, my parents are gone, and I'm me--and I like tattoos.  So, no negative nancy comments, please.

The sleeve is done is the American Traditional tattooing style.  There are eight elements:  dragon, sugar skull, quill and ink pot, blue birds, rose, sun, moon, and book.  It has taken approximately 30 hours to complete the initial line work and the shading.  I have color only on the quill and ink pot so far.  When it is complete, there will be color on all the designs (except the dragon which was completed before I began the sleeve).  

The sleeve draws a lot of attention, which is to be expected--and fine with me.  Some of the comments I've received crack me up.  According to one guy, the tattoos are "tight."  Another said that they are "vicious."  I still don't know if that's good or bad!  Also, I've certainly earned a lot of street cred with my students.  

Absolutely the most painful parts have been the upper, inner arm--and I have one picture where you can see bruises created when the excess ink is wiped off--and the crook of the elbow.  

As I progress more, I'll keep you posted!



  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading Puff the Magic Dragon!