Monday, October 06, 2014

The Down Under Chronicles, part 1

I would like to take this opportunity to thank my incredible hosts--Lisa and Ray Luscombe, and their girls!  My trip to Australia wouldn't have been half as enjoyable without them.  I truly felt like a Melburnian for the duration of my visit.

Lisa and I met online through Flickr several years ago.  We were initially attracted by our mutual love for and ownership of Alaskan Malamutes.  At the time, Lisa had just one dog.   Her baby was long-coated and I had never seen such a gorgeous dog!  Every time Lisa posted a picture of her dog, I quickly "favorited" the picture and commented.  Pretty soon, she started commenting on my photos of Juneau and Sitka too.  Even though Lisa lived in Australia and I lived in the US, we became friends.

Years passed and we remained friends even though we only knew each other online.  When my mother died, Lisa was so kind and understanding--I could feel her compassion and friendship from half a world away.  Our friendship moved from strictly being on Flickr to messaging each other on Facebook.  We wrote frequently, learning about each other's lives, our dogs, our hobbies, and our other friends.  Not too long after my mom died, Lisa said, "You know, you should come visit sometime!"

Visit Australia?  Now that was something I'd never really considered.  It seemed so far away--and it would be expensive too!  I thought about it and thought about it, though.  Finally at Christmas 2012, when I visited my parent's grave, I made it official.  I told them, "I am going to visit Australia!"  I told Lisa too.  I gave myself plenty of time to prepare, planning the trip for September 2014.  For a  person who hasn't travelled in years, it was going to be a big undertaking.
In the meantime, Lisa and her husband got a second dog--another long-coated malamute.  The second was just as beautiful as the first and I joked that it was a toss-up as to who I wanted to meet more--Lisa or her dogs! 

Over the next 15 months, we talked more and more about the trip and what I'd like to see and do while I was there.  I created a Pinterest board for Melbourne/Victoria and Lisa and I both added things to it that looked interesting.  I bought my airplane ticket in the spring of 2014, and then the trip became "real."  Lisa and I kept in close contact, learning more and more about each other as we talked over Facebook.

With my ticket purchased, I then applied for a passport.  Mine had long since expired, since the last time I was out of the country was my honeymoon in 1988!  I quickly discovered that you also need a visa to visit Australia.  Good thing I did my research on that one!  Who knew?

In September, the official countdown started.  And on September 17th I left the US at 10pm and didn't arrive in Melbourne until about 12:30 pm on September 19th.  Those international flights are killers!  Melbourne is 15 hours ahead of Dallas, so I basically lost an entire day in transit! 

Lisa met me at the airport.  Even though we'd never met in person, she looked just like her photos--so lovely!  I spent the next 12 days getting to know her and her husband.  And I can truthfully say, I've never met any nicer people.  They were so generous in allowing a virtual stranger to stay in their home, but it made my experience so wonderfully personal and I felt so well-connected with the city. 

Lisa is the art director for the Royal Auto Club's magazine, and not only is she amazing at the work she does, but she is also a super talented photographer and a virtuoso cook.  Ray is just a darling too--and he and Lisa have the most awesome relationship.  Even after 24 years of marriage, it's obvious they adore each other!  




 Our friends asked us, "Aren't you nervous going to stay with a total stranger?"  "Aren't you nervous letting a total stranger stay in your house?"  Both of us were completely relaxed with our decisions.  "Sometimes you just know about a person," we said to each other--and meant it!  I just knew in my heart Lisa was a wonderful person.

Well, I'm running out of adjectives and superlatives for my friends the Luscombes.  I hope you enjoy the tale of the adventures that is to follow!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading Puff the Magic Dragon!